(The syllabus can change until August)
PROFESSOR LETIZIA JACCHERI
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
The purpose of this course is to investigate why and how increased understanding of the role of gender and diversity can contribute to better knowledge, processes, solutions for Software Development
The course will be organized as presentations by the teacher, by the students, by external actors. Weekly meetings will be organized (indicative slot Thursday from 12-13).
Papers will be chosen from this list in agreement with the teacher.
K. Albusays et al., The Diversity Crisis in Software Development, in IEEE Software, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 19-25, March-April 2021, doi: 10.1109/MS.2020.3045817. (pages 7)
Jaccheri L, Pereira C, Fast S. Gender Issues in Computer Science: Lessons Learnt and Reflections for the Future. In2020 22nd International Symposium on Symbolic and Numeric Algorithms for Scientific Computing (SYNASC) 2020 Sep 1 (pp. 9-16). IEEE.
Theme Education from School to University
Ozkaya, Mom, Where Are the Girls?, in IEEE Software, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 3-6, March-April 2021, doi: 10.1109/MS.2020.3044410. (pages 4)
R. Prado, W. Mendes, K. S. Gama and G. Pinto, How Trans-Inclusive Are Hackathons?, in IEEE Software, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 26-31, March-April 2021, doi: 10.1109/MS.2020.3044205. (pages 6)
J. Simmonds, M. C. Bastarrica and N. Hitschfeld-Kahler, Impact of Affirmative Action on Female Computer Science/Software Engineering Undergraduate Enrollment, in IEEE Software, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 32-37, March-April 2021, doi: 10.1109/MS.2020.3044841. (pages 6)
I would blush if I could: closing gender divides in digital skills through education – UNESCO Digital Library. https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000367416 (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
E. Rubegni, M. Landoni, A. De Angeli, and L. Jaccheri, Detecting Gender Stereotypes in Children Digital StoryTelling, in Proceedings of the Interaction Design and Children – IDC ’19, 2019, pp. 386–393, doi: 10.1145/3311927.3323156.
Theme Industry and Society
L. S. Machado, C. Caldeira, M. Gattermann Perin and C. R. B. de Souza, Gendered Experiences of Software Engineers During the COVID-19 Crisis, in IEEE Software, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 38-44, March-April 2021, doi: 10.1109/MS.2020.3040135.
S. Zacchiroli, Gender Differences in Public Code Contributions: A 50-Year Perspective, in IEEE Software, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 45-50, March-April 2021, doi: 10.1109/MS.2020.3038765.
R. Nadri, G. Rodriguez-Perez and M. Nagappan, Insights Into Nonmerged Pull Requests in GitHub: Is There Evidence of Bias Based on Perceptible Race?, in IEEE Software, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 51-57, March-April 2021, doi: 10.1109/MS.2020.3036758.
L. B. Furtado, B. Cartaxo, C. Treude and G. Pinto, How Successful Are Open Source Contributions From Countries With Different Levels of Human Development?, in IEEE Software, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 58-63, March-April 2021, doi: 10.1109/MS.2020.3044020.
C. Pretorius, M. Razavian, K. Eling and F. Langerak, Combined Intuition and Rationality Increases Software Feature Novelty for Female Software Designers, in IEEE Software, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 64-69, March-April 2021, doi: 10.1109/MS.2020.3043663.
J. Brevik, J. C. T. Vidal, and L. Jaccheri, Designing software to prevent child marriage globally, in Proceedings of the Interaction Design and Children – IDC ’19, 2019, pp. 452–457, doi: 10.1145/3311927.3325322.
Resources (not syllabus)
1. She Figures 2018, European Commission. https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/she-figures-2018_en (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
2. S. Zweben and B. Bizot, Taulbee Survey Total Undergrad CS Enrollment Rises Again, but with Fewer New Majors; Doctoral Degree Production Recovers From Last Year’s Dip, 2020.
3. L. L. Wang, G. Stanovsky, L. Weihs, and O. Etzioni, Gender trends in computer science authorship, Jun. 2019, doi: https://arxiv.org/abs/1906.07883.
4. Informatics Europe Higher Education Data Portal. https://www.informatics-europe.org/data/higher-education/ (accessed Dec. 09, 2020).
5. L. J. Sax et al., Anatomy of an Enduring Gender Gap: The Evolution of Women’s Participation in Computer Science, J. Higher Educ., vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 258–293, Mar. 2017, doi: 10.1080/00221546.2016.1257306.
6. ACM Destinguished Speaker Professor Letizia Jaccheri. https://speakers.acm.org/speakers/jaccheri_10303 (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
7. Informatics Europe Women in Informatics Research & Education (WIRE). https://www.informatics-europe.org/activities/women-in-icst-research-and-education.html (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
8. Gender equality in research and innovation | European Commission. https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/strategy/gender-equality-research-and-innovation_en (accessed Dec. 09, 2020).
9. Women in Digital. Digital Single Market Policy. https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/women-ict (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
10. Gendered innovations – Publications Office of the EU. https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/d15a85d6-cd2d-4fbc-b998-42e53a73a449 (accessed Dec. 06, 2020).
11. The Girl Project Ada. https://www.ntnu.edu/girls (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
12. ICT specialists, More than 8 million ICT specialists employed in the EU in 2016, Jul. 18, 2016. https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/8115840/9-18072017-AP-EN.pdf (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
13. Bamberg CS30 Strategy. https://nachwuchs.wiai.uni-bamberg.de/ (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
14. D. Lillis and S. McKeever, Minerva Award Submission: CS4All Initiative, 2018. [Online]. Available: https://www.informatics-europe.org.
15. Irène Curie Fellowship at TU Eindhoven. https://www.tue.nl/en/working-at-tue/scientific-staff/irene-curie-fellowship (accessed Nov. 25, 2020).
16. Genie | Gender Initiative for Excellence | Chalmers. https://www.chalmers.se/en/about-chalmers/Chalmers-for-a-sustainable-future/initiatives-for-gender-equality/gender-initiative-for-excellence (accessed Nov. 25, 2020).
17. IDUN project at NTNU – from PhD to professor. https://www.ntnu.edu/idun (accessed Nov. 25, 2020).
18. Harvey Mudd Graduates Highest-ever Percentage of Women Physics and Computer Science Majors | College News | Harvey Mudd College. https://www.hmc.edu/about-hmc/2018/05/15/harvey-mudd-graduates-highest-ever-percentage-of-women-physics-and-computer-science-majors/ (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
19. CMU’s Proportion of Undergraduate Women in Computer Science and Engineering Soars Above National Averages – News – Carnegie Mellon University. https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2016/september/undergrad-women-engineering-computer-science.html (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
20. Grace Hopper Celebration, 2021. https://ghc.anitab.org/ (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
21. womENcourage 2020 | ACM, 2020. https://womencourage.acm.org/2020/ (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
22. IEEE WIE International Leadership Conference, 2020. http://ieee-wie-ilc.org/ (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
23. Association for Computing Machinery | Supporting, celebrating and advocating for Women in Computing. https://acmweurope.acm.org/ (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
24. European Centre for Women and Technology (ECWT). http://www.ecwt.eu/en/home (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
25. Cyprus Computer Society » Project » CEPIS Women In ICT Expert Group. https://ccs.org.cy/en/projects/cepis-women-in-ict-expert-group-13 (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
26. Global Partnership for Gender Equality in the Digital Age. https://www.itu.int/en/equals/Pages/default.aspx (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
27. Women4IT is a project aimed at developing innovative solutions to increase the numbers of vulnerable girls and young women in the European digital economy. https://women4it.eu/ (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
28. COST Action CA19122 EUGAIN European Network For Gender. https://www.cost.eu/actions/CA19122 (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
29. LIBRA | Unifying innovative efforts of European research centres to achieve gender equality in academia. https://www.eu-libra.eu/ (accessed Dec. 09, 2020).
30. Geecco : Home. http://www.geecco-project.eu/home/ (accessed Dec. 09, 2020).
31. Plotina – Promoting gender balance and inclusion in research, innovation and training. https://www.plotina.eu/ (accessed Dec. 09, 2020).
32. Gender Action. https://genderaction.eu/ (accessed Dec. 09, 2020).
33. EQUAL-IST | Gender Equality. https://equal-ist.eu/ (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
34. Elsevier, The researcher journey through a gender lens . https://www.elsevier.com/research-intelligence/resource-library/gender-report-2020 (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).
35. Gender Equality in Academia and Research – GEAR tool | EIGE. https://eige.europa.eu/gender-mainstreaming/toolkits/gear (accessed Nov. 24, 2020).